If we had a woodstock for the environment do you think a lot of people would go to it?

The prevalence of woodstock type events in recent years are somewhat limited to Coachella and Burning Man. Burning Man of course comes closest to an environmental woodstock. Having not been I can’t say whether or not it has been an effective tool for the environment. I do know that they require participants to abide by strict rules of environmental conduct, however this does not guarantee that participants are uniformly concerned.

The idea of having a woodstock for the environment, in my opinion, has little potential for being an effective medium for environmental awareness. This is like holding a fundraiser for cancer awareness with a bunch of headlining bands. The crowd comes, they pay to see the band, and the majority of people could care less about the cause. I attended one such a event back in 1998 and recall people throwing snowballs on stage while a woman talked about the importance of breast cancer awareness.

My suggestion would be to hold an event where participants actively engage in some kind of environmental pursuit.