If we found an alien what would you name it?

I’m fond of Vonnegut’s name for aliens: Tramalfadorians.

Well I would probably introduce myself to the alien and see what they call themselves. But if I had to choose a name for them, I would follow along the lines of those who gave names the planets and other outworldly bodies and give them the names of ancient gods and goddesses. Just in case.  

Harry Potter.

Well, first, I’d see if it could talk, so it could tell me if it already had a name, or what it would want to be named. If that option were ruled out, then it would come down to a choice between Hans and Marcus Aurelius.

Maybe it would name us if it were more advanced. I just hope it wouldn’t call us “Dead”!

I would not name the alien because I would expect that the alien is a complex creature himself and has his (or her, or its) own name.  I would attempt to communicate with the alien and found out what he/she/it calls itself and then call it only that.