If planes are being made of composite materials for fuel efficiency now, why not cars?

I’m guessing the answer is safety. If this is really the case, then why is it that composite materials can’t be built strong (or smart) enough to be safe?

Good question, number19.  From my understanding, it is not really an issue of safety, but rather, an issue of economics.  Carbon-fiber, a popular composite material for its light weight and strength, is actually used in some cars, but it is generally more expensive to manufacture than aluminum or steel, so car companies tend to stay away from it.  Axon, a British car company, has actually been able to find a way to produce an affordable carbon-fiber car that will get 100 miles to the gallon. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks Jeff. I guess it is not surprising that it is a cost issue. I wonder how high the price of gas would have to get in order to make consumers buy a composite car over a steel or aluminum one? I’ll be interested to see how Axon does with their composite car.

My pleasure, number19. I’m interested to see how they do also. What interesting times we live in!