If the people on Easter Island died due to deforestation, shouldn’t we use them as an example to protect our forests?

Well, there are a lot of things that we could point at to discuss the tragic effects of deforestation but I don’t know if that will necessarily work. A lot of people in rich countries don’t have to worry about deforestation or the general population isn’t aware enough of the practices and its effects. If it doesn’t directly affect people then they seldom are as sympathetic to a cause as they should be. As climate change spreads and once it affects everyone then we’ll have to all look to cut back on environmental waste because it’s a worldwide and urgent problem.

I majored in Environmental Policy while in college, and my classes often discussed Easter Island in reference to deforestation. It is often mentioned in textbooks. One great example is “Collapse” by Jared Diamond. This book talks how societies and communities have collapsed due to some sort of environmental component. It is a really great book and features an awesome segment on Easter Island.

I also visited the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C. over the summer, and they had an actual Easter Island statue with a small plaque about deforestation there.