If my fiancées family is flying across the country for my green wedding, is it still green?

Sure. It’s better to have a green wedding where family flies across the country than a regular wedding where your family flies across the country. You could also look at it this way: you’re responsible for your wedding, which you decided to make green. You’re not necessarily responsible for your guests’ transportation. There is no authority that deems somethings “green” and some thing not; what’s important is that you try your best to lessen your own environmental impact.

Your concern over transportation is legitimate, however there are steps you can take to help mitigate the effects of this cross country flight. Airlines are making a strong effort to reduce their environmental impact (and also their bottom lines)and this information is readily available. If there are specific airlines you are looking into flying with, conduct some research on their green initiatives to see what they are doing both on the ground and in the air. Also, on several flights I have been on, I have had the option to donate a predetermined amount of money to offset my carbon footprint from the flight, which has helped to reduce my guilt and maybe could help you as well.