If I like to drink bottled water is there anything I can do to make it more eco friendly?

Really the only way that you can make sure that you are being relatively eco-friendly with regards to drinking bottled water is to make sure that you are recycling all of your bottles.  If its just the convencience of carrying a bottle around with you that you like about it, try getting a reusable metal or plastic water bottle that you could carry wround with you instead of a disposable plastic bottle.

Some bottled water is shipped from very far away. Fiji water, while delicious, has to be transported thousands of miles to reach the United States. Try to purchase from more local companies to lower the fossil fuels used in transport. You could also consider having home delivery of the multi gallon coolers that are often used in offices. These require less packaging and are reused by the company. To bring the water with you you could fill up a reusable bottle with water from your home cooler.

There are also some bottled water companies that are working to make their bottles compostable, like BIOTA, which makes a bottle out of corn that biodegrades in a compost bin in 12 weeks. It’s great considering plastic takes about 500 years. 

Why don’t you just save up your water bottles for a few days, buy a brita filter or something like that, then refill your old bottles with filtered water and store them in the fridge?  I guarantee you would never know the difference.  I don’t remember where I heard it, but apparently some of those company’s water has been tested and its just regular ol’ tap water… Don’t quote me on that, but I really wouldn’t be suprised if thats true