If I don’t have protein after a workout should I let my muscles rest longer before I work out again?

This depends on how long you let them rest normally, and how intense your workouts are. Generally, it is the feeling of soreness that lets you know your muscles are still torn and regenerating after the workout, and while protein helps them recover faster, if you eat a decent amount of protein anyway, and get a good nights sleep, you probably won’t have to worry too much.

I hope this helped!

You should always let your muscles rest for a day after you work them out. Working out the same muscle groups day after day will only increase your chance of injury. Consuming more protein won’t allow you muscles to heal faster, protein helps build muscles not heal them. Moral of the story: with out without protein you need to give you muscles time to rest (at least day between should be good).