If I am camping in a cold area should I sleep with clothes on or without clothes on in my sleeping bag?

Speaking from experience, I don’t know why you would want to take your clothes off. Ever. The more layers you have on, the better you’ll keep heat in. It may seem alright when you first fall asleep, but by the time you wake up in the morning you will be freezing! Whenever I’ve gone camping I’ve usually had several layers of clothes on under the covers. My advice is to bring a blanket, or a sweater.

If you are sleeping with someone else in your sleeping bag or you are connecting your sleeping bags or are cuddling in any way, having skin to skin contact will keep you warm. I haven’t really tried this out so I can’t say if it is warmer than both of you wearing clothes, but maybe having some skin to skin contact and then a blanket to insulate will help.

Make sure that if you sweat, especially your feet, that you change your clothes. Even try to wash and dry your body and put on different clothes before getting into your sleeping bag. This will keep your toes from freezing and your body from getting cold really fast. When I have stayed in very cold areas, including areas where I have slept on snow, I like to sleep with a stocking hat on – you lose a lot of body heat through your head and this helps to keep me warmer.