If ethics are what guide people’s choices in terms of responsibility, is an environmental ethic a learned or natural response to planetary change? If it is learned, how do we instill an environmental ethic into every person?

I think like most things, it’s a gray area and a combination between many forces. I believe it’s both learned and natural in the sense that humans have developed natural tendencies but are still influenced by behaviors that are taught to them. In order to cultivate a proper environmental ethic into people it is very important to develop in them the respect and wonder for nature. They need to learn to have less possessiveness (less “me”) and more community (more “we”) and need to learn that the earth doesn’t belong to any one entity or person.