If dry cleaning is so bad for the environment why are so many clothes dry clean only?

Clothing manufacturers tend to keep the quality of their clothes in mind rather than the environmental effects of dry cleaning.  Some clothes are dry clean only for a reason; washing them could irreparably stretch or shrink them. 

I have always thought that many of the clothes tagged “dry clean only” were due to the manufacturer not testing the best methods of cleaning the clothing.  I hand was some of my dry clean only clothes, like sweaters or other things that would normally be listed as delicates, just making sure the temperature of the water is not too hot and to avoid drying.  For things like suits, it is probably best to just get them dry cleaned.