If abortion were made free and legal around the world would our population growth slow to a healthy level?

I’m afraid there’s no simple answer to this question. The availability of abortion is certainly an attractive option for population control, but it’s very, very unlikely to be enough on it’s own. Even if it were free and legal, think about the massive cultural barriers people face when it comes to taking advantage of this service. There are many cultures which frown upon or outright forbid abortion. I just don’t think it would be enough — there are so many other social and economic factors which play an important role in determining the number of offspring people have. We’re going to have to make a LOT of changes to the world as a whole if we want human population growth to slow to a health level. For that matter, we’re not even sure what a “healthy” level is yet — just that it’s probably a lot lower than what we’re at now.

It is hard to say, but I don’t think so. I think people overestimate the amount of abortions that are being had each year. Yes, they are high in America, but I don’t know if it would be a population control thing around the world. More people are being careful with pregnancy and not using abortion as birth control. While it may level off the population a bit, it wouldn’t change things drastically, in my opinion.