Is an icemaker more efficient than ice trays?

According to the NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology), ice trays are more efficient.  They assert that ice makers in refrigerators increase the energy consumption by 12-20 percent (an estimated 84 kWh), and that 3/4 of this increase is due to the heating component that releases the ice from the ice maker and deposites it in the tray (whereas only 1/4 is used to turn the water into ice).  However, critics argue that this analysis fails to account for the energy wasted when the freezer is opened to put the ice tray in or take it out.  Then again, refrigerators equipped with ice dispensers and ice crushers must also require more energy to run those devices.  The topic is still up for debate, and more research could be done, but personally, I’d probably stick with the trays.

maddie probably had the answer for the question (which is why I gave her a thumbs up for her good response), but I thought the question had to do with something I have thought about which is: What is more efficient: Making your own ice or buying it when it’s made by a professional icemaker?

Then I realized there were several sizes of commercial ice makers, and got less enthusiastic about my own question. Lol.

The Manitowoc Ice SD-3303W3, which is a bit of a huge expensive monster, uses 30 amps, and a peak of 51,000 BTU/hr. The electricity costs about 3.55 kWh/100 lbs. ice.

The Scotsman CU50, a much more modest ice maker, but with a Green Star rating, takes a whopping 14.5 kWh/100 lbs. ice.

It’s not hard to see where this is going: Home ice-makers are an ecological disaster compared to even a small commercial unit.

All things being equal, buy ice, don’t make it.