I want to replace my grass with something that doesn’t require mowing and I don’t want to use chemicals to remove the existing grass. Would oversowing with wooly thyme do the trick or is there anything else that will?

Just placing wooly thyme down will just cause your lawn to look unattractive. You need to kill the existing grass and till the soil before placing the wooly thyme down. Then, add compost to your lawn and till that into the soil so it exists at a depth of 6 inches. Space thyme plants 6 to 12 inches apart so it covers your ground quickly.

If you want to kill your grass naturally, first mow your lawn so your grass is as short as possible. Then, place newspapers on top. Make sure the the newspaper layers are thick and consist of a layer at least 10 sheets thick. Then, place mulch on top.