I used to drink out of streams all the time when I was a kid without filtering it. Did I have a good immune system or was I just lucky?

The answer could also be what stream you drank water from. Certain streams are not as bad as others. This is due to streams that may connect or be surrounded by impervious cover, or be surrounded by treatment plants, etc. For example, in Austin I could not drink from our Waller Creek watershed because there is trash and pollution in it. While there are other locations that are more friendly due to it not being polluted or srrounded by impervious cover, it is best to be careful and only consume water that has been filtered. Unfiltered water sometimes carries cysts that can infect the digestive tract. Therefore, it is best to only consume filtered water, and not leave it up to luck!