I saw a kitchen countertop made out of legos recently, wouldn’t things like salmonella get in the legos and harm the people eating in the kitchen?

I believe I’ve seen pictures of the same one. The edges where the legos have been joined could indeed house bacteria and fungi, although I doubt they would be any deeper than the scratches you end up with if you cut something with a knife on a regular countertop without a cutting board. Now, if any of the legos aren’t fully pushed in, i.e. there is a gap between edges, water could seep inside, becoming a breeding place for microorganisms, including harmful ones. The countertop should be (and I’m pretty that one is) coated with some sort of protective layer, similarly to wooden furniture. Besides making it look polished, it’ll fill in the gaps.