I recently flew with a cold and my head felt awful for a week afterwards. How come planes are not more pressurized so that people with head colds are so affected?

It is quite annoying to have to travel with a cold.  However, I think planes are built with pretty good pressurization systems, considering people are not really meant to be at such high altitudes.  Even people who are not sick experience pressure problems in their ears and sinuses.  The problems experienced may have more to do with an individual’s ability to clear their sinuses and equalize the pressure.  Next time you fly try yawning or chewing gum to help, it is not likely they are going to re-model pressurization systems on planes any time soon.