I read Mercury may also be recovered and recycled from compact and traditional fluorescent lamps.

How do i go about to recover or extract mercury from fluorescent lamps and in what type container I must store it?

There is no way to safely or legally recycle flourescent lighting yourself unless you own the proper recycling equipment. Mercury is highly toxic and its disposal is regulated by the EPA and by individual state laws. The EPA web page on mercury has information on disposing of CFLs and flourescent lamps safely. 

If you do own a recycling center, or are interested in starting one, try contacting the Association of Lighting and Mercury Recyclers (AMLR), a professional organization for processors of mercury-containing waste.