I love the green parrots that perch around my neighborhood, but realize they’re escaped exotic pets. Are they a harmful invasive species?

None of the places around the U.S. with introduced populations of green parrots have reported that the birds disrupt the local ecosystem at all. Yet these intelligent, non-aggressive birds, which no self-respecting scientist has ever accused of perpetrating any damage, are regarded with extreme hostility in many states. In New Jersey and Connecticut, they are classified as a “potentially dangerous species.” In Pennsylvania, they are reportedly euthanized on the spot whenever power companies find them nesting on transmission lines. In Florida, both the state Department of Transportation and the Florida Power & Light utility company do the same thing.