I know that there is a fish with some sort of barb or hooks on it. What is the name of said fish?

I asked a similar question, but I was limited on time. I asked for hooks. I am writing a story. I need the name of a fish that can attach to anything. I am asking for a fish that can attach without suction cups or use of the mouth.

While there is a fish called the barb fish, it does not have hooks or barbs all over it. It is called the barb fish because of the barbels (whisker-like things) that often are seen at its mouth.

I don’t know whether or not such a fish, one that can “attach to anything”, really exists. However, at the second link below, there is a fish index. Perhaps you could browse it to find out what find of fish you’re looking for.

I’ve attached an additional fish identification guide to help you in your search.

There are a whole lot of barb fish (it’s a whole genus), and there are fish with barbs which are not barb fish. Popular examples are tiger barbs, shortfin barbs, and Congo barbs. Most of these are aquarium fish, so relatively small

On the Caves episode of the BBC documentary series, Planet Earth, they highlight a species of fish that “are perhaps the most adapted creatures on earth since they live only on cave waterfalls”.  It is called the Cave Angelfish, and feeds off bacteria that flows through the cave waterfall.  It secures itself to rock surfaces with hooks on their fins, which can also be used to scale the rock and gain higher ground.  BBC claims that their footage of the Cave Angelfish is the first ever recorded.

[img_assist|nid=180593|title=Cave Angelfish|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=340]