I have a WhisperLite backpacking stove. Is there any way to empty the fuel from the canister after you have pressurized it? (Besides running the stove till it runs out.)

I only had a WhisperLite for a hot-second before I traded up to a JetBoil — I had to do a little searching around, but there are a few good resource websites listed below. Looks like you can slowly unscrew the pump to depressurize the bottle.  There are a few other bits and pieces in the links below regarding how to get the WhisperLite to simmer.

Cool, thanks for the tip. Why did you choose the JetBoil? How do you like it?

I love the jetboil. I got the tip from some cats I did Search and Rescue with — the whisperlite was just too difficult to manage after a long day on the trail. The only real downside of the JetBoil is that it uses small canisters — but the electric starter, built in wind shield and packability are what made it a Backpacker Magaine editor’s choice (2007?).

A recent review I read noted that the JetBoil canisters can be recycled once their empty — they simply have to be punctured and flattened. Apparently REI.com sells a tool designed to puncture the canisters.

Very interesting. I’ll have to check it out next time I’m at REI. Thanks for your help!