I have no money to give environmental groups but I want to donate my time- are there any groups that I can join and volunteer to help manually- planting trees, trash pickup, etc?

Normally any nonprofit loves when people help and can volunteer. I know local chapters of the Sierra Club are always in need of volunteers. The best thing to do is just email the nonprofit you want to volunteer for and tell them you would like to help.

A great site that lists local work and volunteer opportunities is idealist.org. Depending on your state or city, there may also be specific websites set up to help find volunteer opportunities (for example, I’ve worked with the online site Chicago Cares to find volunteer work in my area).