I have a maple tree that has just defoliated, what could cause this to happen?

A wide variety of causes could be effecting your tree. Defoliation could be a natural process, such as what happens in the fall, or it could be the result of root rot or bark boring beetles. If you think your tree might have a disease, a list of many common ones is provided in a chart on the website provided. However, I think the best idea would be to consult a professional for help.

Maples are often susceptible to leaf scorch, a tree’s version of sunburn. Leaf scorch will make the leaves look burnt, and eventually the leaves will fall off of the tree. If this has happened to your maple, if needs close attention and deep watering.

I will echo the above statement that it might be best to consult a professional. If you have further concerns, call your local arborist and set up a consultation.