I found two large black wasp like insects in my backyard today. I was curious as to what they are.

About an inch to an inch and a half long. Quarter inch wide. very large. All black except for when it flies, just before it lands you can see a bright orange stripe at the top of it’s thorax, the rest of the thorax is black. The wings have an indigo shimmer. My back yard is in London, Southern Ontario. Any clue?…I’ve never seen one before.

After a little research, I believe I have found your wasps. They sound like Orange-Thorax Spider Wasps. I wasn’t able to find much on that particular species, but spider wasps are non-aggressive unless provoked. As long as you don’t try to mess with them, they should leave you alone.