I don’t think we are ever going to get away from our consumption driven societies, what can we do to make the product better after they buy it?

I agree with your statement, and in all reality I think the only way to make the product better is if the consumer demands it. This will require mass education, on the scale that the consumerism propaganda is spout out. The problem is that too many people are subconsciously consumed with the products around them, and therefore are driven by it. What needs to occur is that people have to want a better product that is less harmful to the environment, or no want anything at all. Making all products 100% recyclable would be a start, but again, this will only come from the consumer rejecting the products that are already out there.