hydrogen and iodine react to give hydrogen iodide while absorbing heat energy. the mass is equal to the product. in theory should the product weigh slightly more or less than the reactant?

It depends. I’m not sure about how this would be on an atomic level, but composite materials (carbon fiber, glass fiber, concrete, etc) are made up from 2 or more different materials that are better than the sum of it’s parts. Thus carbon fiber is stronger and lighter than anything that would be made from a single type of material. This would mean that materials made from composites are weigh less. But my guess would be that depending on the material the result can be lighter, equal or heavier than the original materials.