Is human shelter a human right?

I would definitely have to say that it is, if I believe healthcare is a human right (which I do) then I must believe an even more basic amenity must be. Not too surprisingly so does Amnesty International – one of the top human rights organizations – “During World Habitat Day we reflect on the basic right that all people have to adequate shelter” (Amnesty). More surprisingly though, some governments are starting to agree, in the UK: “Shelter is a basic human right, says Court of Appeal.”

Let’s consult Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. I would put tend to put shelter as a BASIC need, along with food, water, breathing, sleep, etc, though you could argue that shelter is a 2nd level PHYSIOLOGICAL need, along with safety, employment and resources.

Either way, shelter is a fundamental human need and therefore a right. Adequacy of the shelter is where the line becomes a little blurred, according to different cultural standards. Just among my friends, I can see totally different standards for acceptable shelter (ie living quarters).

No one will deny that shelter is a right, but quality will vary from place to place.

I’d have to say that it is. Shelter is something all humans should be entitled to regardless of who they are. Everyone needs a place to stay.