How is the United States trying to help poor countries get cleaner water?

Entrepreneurs, celebrities, non-profit organizations, some corporations like Starbucks, and even the federal government are all involved in helping people all over the world gain access to cleaner water.  From a humanitarian aspect it’s important, but also it’s important in preserving our economic and national security.  If people do not have access to clean water, there is sure to be some level of unrest which can be avoided if we continue to come together in ensuring more clean water is available.  Of course, with population growth on the rise this is becoming a more and more urgent issue.  With fresh water in such high demand, companies and entrepreneurs are devising ways in which they can benefit from helping the cause of providing fresh water to a thirsty world.  See the links below for more information.

I mean, The United States hands out billions of dollars in foreign aid. You could say that some of that money is used to get cleaner water, but a lot of it, I’m sure, goes towards armaments. Sudan received more than a billion dollars in 2009, and various other African countries, e.g., Kenya, Ethiopia, and Nigeria, received hundreds of millions of dollars. Afghanistan and Iraq received even greater financial aid, but I’d venture to say that the money they receive is designated less for clean water and more for military endeavors.

I would agree with you that the United States does provide other countries with armaments – the weapons that the U.S. is providing to Afghanistan could be filtering on to the Taliban according to this article:

However, I think your answer is somewhat besides the point, and has little to do with the efforts made by the U.S. and other industrialized countries to improve water quality at home and abroad. Additionally, because wikipedia is open to the public for editing, I would discourage anyone from using it as a trusted source of information.

I used the Wikipedia link because it’s easier to understand. Anyway, the way in which the State Department releases its data makes it difficult to see exactly where money is going. Does it make it better if I give you this other link ( which tells you pretty much the same info? Wikipedia isn’t the devil. It offers a lot of valuable information, most of which isn’t simply a click away from being changed.

The whole point of my answer is to draw attention to the very real money that the U.S. is giving to countries. It gives billions of dollars which go towards many things, such as clean water. It’s another way of looking at the question. Thanks for the debate.