How toxic are synthetic leather materials?

I am in the process of becoming 100% vegan, and have had my eye on a pair of Frye boots for a long time. However, I realize it is hypocritical of me to protest the killing of animals for food, and then wear leather. I am looking at vegan alternatives, but don’t really love the idea of wearing toxic synthetic plastic materials. Of course I can just like without my boots, but could someone help shed some light on this predicament? Thanks!

If it helps you any, PETA supports the fact that there is less runoff and residue with the production of synthetic leathers than with leather.

Also, when you are looking at faux leather, you should look for ones that are made of polyurethane (PU). It is petroleum-based and is washable, dry-cleaned, and breathes.

On the other hand, try to avoid PVC (Polyvinyl chloride). Besides being difficult to wear and clean, it has a much more harmful impact on the environment. PVC requires the use of Phthalates to make it soft and flexible and is assoicated with dioxin, which can travel long distances on wind currents. Dioxin has been linked to cancer, reproductive problems and diabetes.