How should we calculate the damages caused by the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf?

The International Oil Pollution Compensation Funds is a program that has been set up to help with damage calculation and cost; however, their site hasn’t been updated in quite a while, so I’m not sure if they’re still in operation. Personally, I don’t think that calculating the damages will be that big of a deal; scientists can tell what damage has been done to the environment and what needs to be done about it, and as for any type of economical damage, it’s rather easy. If they feel they’ve lost money, they basically make a claim, shows records, and a judge will decide how much/if they are owed any compensation. The attached link has some more detailed info.