How should I dispose of unused medicines?

That is a good question and one that is surprisingly difficult to answer.  There really isn’t a 100% safe way to do it.  First of all, talk to your local pharmacy and doctor because sometimes they will take unused and expired medicine that they will then dispose of.  Some people say that you should flush them down the toilet, but that can contaiminate the water supply.  However, it is suggested to flush prescription pain killers down the toilet.  If your local drugstore or doctor won’t take them, throwing them out i sactually better than putting them in the sewer system, but it is suggested to liquify solid medications (add water), and solidify liquid medications (add kitty litter) to prevent children and animals from accidentally ingesting them.

I would definitely not flush them down the toilet because they would contaminate the water. I would take them to your local garbage place and ask if they know of any hazardous disposing places (probably call them instead). You need a place that takes special chemicals. Bring them to your local hospital and see if they will take them. 

According to the FDA:

• “Follow any specific disposal instructions on the drug label or patient information that accompanies the medication. Do not flush prescription drugs down the toilet unless this information specifically instructs you to do so.”

If there are no instructions then:

• “Put them in a sealable bag, empty can, or other container to prevent the medication from leaking or breaking out of a garbage bag”
    • “Take them out of their original containers and mix them with an undesirable substance, such as used coffee grounds or kitty litter. The medication will be less appealing to children and pets, and unrecognizable to people who may intentionally go through your trash.”

Check out the link for more information. 

I have your solution.

Go to walgreens or any other pharmacy and ask them for a takeaway bag:

It has a prepaid postage to send it to a place where the medication is incinerated. This ensures that it does not get into the water supply and also generates elecricity from the incineration.

Please do consider this and tell everyone about this program.

I swear I taste acetaminophen in most water (tylenol).