How is proplyparaben and methylparabens bad in cosmetics?

Answers

Parabens can persist in body tissue. One study done in Scotland found parabens in 18 out of 20 breast tumors tested. While conclusive studies have not yet been done, some believe that parabens may be linked to breast cancer in women. Parabens are also commonly found in antiperspirants/deodorants, and many breast cancer tumors are found in the region of the breast closest to the arm pit area. 

Thanks for that info!

Thanks for asking! I have been meaning to avoid products with parabens in them for a while, but have had a really difficult time finding a good deodorant that works that does not contain parabens or aluminum. I find it frustrating that so many toxic chemicals are in products we use everyday. One in every three cancers diagnosed is breast cancer. I find it horrible that the products women use to make themselves feel beautiful are making them ill. I hope some more conclusive evidence comes out soon, though that previous link described many scientists having trouble getting the funding for paraben and cancer research.

So true! I used to not care before because I wasn’t informed of information like this. Now, I’m doing my best to stay clear of harmful products with carcinogenic ingredients. However, that’s hard to do with a budget and especially when family doesn’t really care.

I recommend shopping online verses stores for the most part. Places like Walgreens, Target, etc. will try to charge a huge premium for green products. I have actually been buying items on Amazon.com and other places. Occasionally I will find a store that charges a fair price. But, if you are on a budget, you should be able to find some items that are comparable in price. I was able to get a face cream on Amazon for $4 cheaper than in stores. I could have gotten it even cheaper than that if I signed up to get it delivered incrementally. You can always ask a new question on this site to ask where people get non-toxic personal care products for close to the same cost as the normal name-brand products. I understand your concern, I am not one to spend $8 on deodorant either.

Denise – our online store Charleston Naturally carries organic deodorants made without dioxanes or parabens. It’s buy Dr. Hauschka – an organic brand with a great reputation. Here’s the link:

http://www.charlestonnaturally.com/dr-hauschka-deodorant-fresh.html

Can you please explain to me why this product costs so much money? I am willing to pay a small premium for products that are better for my body, but this deodorant costs more than 9 times the amount of regular deodorant. It is really frustrating when products that are healthier for you become cost prohibitive. I can’t justify spending that much when I just graduated college, am looking for work, and paying back student loans. Any information you can provide would be great. Thanks.

I completely sympathize! I assume the reason organic beauty products costs more is the same reason organic food costs more. They are a smaller share of the market, not mass-produced, their ingredients are fresher (do not contain preservatives to make them last years) and therefore more expensive, and the process of actually making them is more earth-friendly and energy efficient, which probably also costs more for the company making it. We don’t mark-up the prices; $22 is how much this deodorant would cost you directly from Dr. Hauschka unless on sale.

Having said that, we do also carry an organic deodorant spray by Erbaviva that is only $6 for a 1 oz. bottle:
      http://www.charlestonnaturally.com/erbaviva-lemon-sage-organic-deodorant-2.html

eblairbryant and deniseapril – our online store carries organic deodorants made without dioxanes or parabens. it’s buy dr. hauschka – here’s the link: