How often should a healthy adult have a bowel movement?

Depending on your daily activity level, your age, and your diet, you should probably have a bowel movement every 1 to 3 days. Otherwise, constipation can occur. 

How often you have a bowel movement depends a lot on your diet. Vegetarians who eat a lot of plant fiber (cellulose) tend to have more frequent bowel movements. Their bowel movements are also looser and come out more easily, while people who eat a lot of meat and processed foods without cellulose may have large, painful bowel movements. Vegetarians may have three or more bowel movements per day.

I asked my doctor this question and he told me that the amount of bowel movements vary from person to person. He stated that it is normal for some people to go several times a day and for others to have only one bowel movement every day or every few days. However, he recommended that a bowel movement should occur every 1 to 3 days.

This is tough question because, in my opinion, the standard American diet is not healthy and the majority of people have misconceptions about eating healthy and do not drink enough water. This can have a significant effect on the digestive system and its ability to eliminate properly and healthfully. We are seeing so many advertisements for fiber, stool softeners, and natural digestive aids like Align. We are hearing more about “Irritable Bowel Syndrome” and how it affects roughly 30% of the population here in the U.S. People aren’t eating right and they are dehydrated, plain and simple. I struggled for year with IBS-C until I turned to raw foods and regular exercise, now I eliminate every morning, sometimes even twice a day. Before, on the standard American diet, I would go 3-4 days without a bowel movement and every experience trying to eliminate was excrutiatingly painful. I don’t know if any of this information is helpful, I just felt like sharing my experience because I know that there are alot of other people out there suffering.