How much energy will Oregon’s wave power station be able to generate?

1.5 megawatts — It will be operational within 3 years. 1.5 megawatts is not a huge amount of power — enough to power at least 300 or 400 homes — but it says in the article: that’s “about half that of a single giant wind turbine (though the waves should be able to provide plenty of power around the clock, unlike the intermittent wind)”. It is a buoy design, as opposed to a waterwheel design. I guess this makes it more durable, but I wonder how much power could be captured if you got a wave to hit a waterwheel directly and then allow it to spin freely after the wave passes by, until the next one hits and gets the wave-wheel spinning fast again!

Do you know if they are treating it kind of like a pilot program?

Umm, no… I don’t really know too much about it to be honest (I just researched it in Google and found the stats/description on it from an article) … or exactly what you mean by a pilot program… I mean, I think it’s one of a kind (the machine itself is not working in too many other places at least I know that) and I think it’s the first of it’s type to be built in a large scale commercial venture. And I know for a fact they will be doing all kinds of assessments and tests to check on it’s efficiency and functionality / resistance to damage — so the lessons learned from this venture can be applied to future development of the technology — in that respect I think it definitely is a “pilot program!” But again, I didn’t read all that much about it, so it might be out there that they are calling it that, but I didn’t come across it. Did you see the cool picture of the machine — it looks like a huge buoy / tube thingy from the future!?