over 500 million diretories are produced every year, thats almost two per american! according to the website yellowpagesgoesgreen.org to produce 500 million books:
* 19 million trees need to be harvested
* 1.6 billion pounds of paper are wasted
* 7.2 million barrels of oil are misspent in their processing (not including the wasted gas used for their delivery to your doorstep)
* 268,000 cubic yards of landfill are taken up
* 3.2 billion kilowatt hours of electricity are squandered
Evidently, Yellow Pages have cleaned up their act a little bit concerning wood and paper usage in the massive directories. According to an article published by Ken C. on wordpress.com, they have adopted a wood supply that does not actually cut down any new trees just for their books. For a few years now, they claim that 40% of their paper comes from recycled paper products, like old newspapers and books, and 60% from extra waste products of the lumber industry that would be otherwise thrown out. Though lumber still reduces tree numbers, the Yellow Pages apparently just uses the left overs, which is a step in the right direction.
Click here to cancel reply.
Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!
Don't have an account? Click Here to Signup
© Copyright GreenAnswers.com LLC