How much of our annual wastes are production by-products that are just thrown away?

The reason no one has answered this question is because we can’t find statistics. I bet that there are a lot of “production by-products” in landfills (leftover manufacturing scraps, defective product, etc), but I can’t imagine that its any significant percent when you think about POST CONSUMER waste…which is basically everything else. Post-consumer waste includes used and unwanted products as well as disposables.

For many metals, scrap from production constitutes a significant resource which is usually reported under “recycling” for commodity purposes. For example, in the linked PDF, you see that 24% of US cobalt consumption came from scrap material that was purchased. Similar situations exist for most of the high-volume metals.