How much money does America spend on recycling every year?

see previous answers

I actually answered this before, but I’m not sure how easy it was to find my response. Let me show you my answer.

I did a calculation based on the information I found. The average county recycling-budget in Pennsylvania is $334,000 (if you google it, you can find the pdf from which I pulled this information). There are 67 counties in PA, which means the state spends on recycling about $22,378,00. This means that this amount covers 4.1% of the U.S. population (12,600,000 residents of PA, 306,000,000 U.S. citizens).

Whole = 545,804,878  = Total money spent on recycling in the U.S.

I hope this makes some sense! Anyway, recycling is handled by local government making it difficult to determine the exact amount spent on it. The National Resources Defense Council found that in NYC it costs 17 dollars more to process 1 ton of recycled materials than it does 1 ton of landfill waste. The higher cost of recycling is due to the greater distance recycled materials travel than waste materials travel. Though, the difference in cost is shrinking!