How much money can you get from recycling cardboard?

Recycling cardboard pays off in a number of ways, especially be reducing the amount of garbage being thrown into fills.

However, I am assuming you want to know how much money you can get in your pocket right now for bringing some cardboard to the local recycling center.

I checked with a few nearby centers (I live in California), and the short answer is: not much. Unfortunately, all the centers told me that there is not much market right now for recycled cardboard. One place said that if I brought in over 300 pounds, they would give me 1 cent per pound. It seems like it would cost more than that in gas just to deliver it there.

You can try to sell it within your community for much higher returns (and local reuse is much better for the environment than even recycling.) 

We run BoxCycle, a marketplace for used cardboard boxes that makes it easy to do just that.

By default you’d get $0.50 per typical moving size box and you can set even higher pricing if you prefer.