How much mercury can you eat and still be OK?

Fish is the most common source of mercury in our diet and there is definitely a limit to how much is too much (keep in mind it also depends on weight). According to the Natural Resources Defense Council, a 140 lbs person should only eat 1 can per 3 days of Chunk Light tuna  and 1 can per 10 days of White Albacore tuna. These are safe perportions according to their charts. Personally, I would have to say I eat much more fish and tuna per pound than I should. The numberwas definitly more lower higher than I thought.

Another common source of mercury entering the body are almagam fillings, which contain 50% mercury. Not surprisingly enough, dentists have 4 times more mercury burden on their bodies than the average human. Though on average, people absorb 100 micrograms of mercury a day, the maximum amount the EPA has deamed permissible is 0.1 micrograms per kg per day. This limit, more often than not, is crossed on the daily.