how much does natural gas contribute to climate change?

Natural gas is used for 22% of the energy consumption in the U.S., and it accounts for 20% of the carbon dioxide emissions from the U.S. each year. Compare that to the figures for coal: coal is used for 23% of the energy generated in the U.S., but coal is responsible for 36% of the country’s CO2 emissions. Natural gas is a slightly better option than coal, but it is still a source of greenhouse gases.

Based on some rough calculations, it appears as though natural gas production is responsible for about 12% of all greenhouse gas emissions. I took the CO2 equiv. emissions from 2005 and found that my calculated emissions from natural gas was about 12% of that value. My natural gas numbers were based on an EPA assumption of 0.12 pounds of CO2 per cubic foot of gas and 104 trillion cubic feet of gas produced worldwide (this number is from 2006). It’s not exact, but should give a ballpark answer.