How much do public transit systems reduce traffic congestion?

Well, judging by the amount of traffic congestion that exists, not all that much. Although, I would hate to see what would happen if every bus, train, and subway emptied all its passengers onto the road and into cars. I think it works better in some areas than in others… like in NYC the subway is essential and it does do a great job eliminating a good deal of traffic congestion (over 70 percent of people in NYC use some form of alternative transportation to get to and fro work/school — and if there was no subway system this number would plummet and all those people would be left to walk or bike or drive the streets)… but in other places we need to do more than just provide some buses for public transit: We need an alternative transportation roadway/ pathway (road implies car) — and more pedestrian bridges and enclosed tunnels — to get people out of the way of cars and onto their own paths (bikers especially) so they are not endangering themselves and disrupting drivers! It’s going to take a huge investment in infrastructure to get our transportation system up to speed/ efficiency! (I think we need a new one altogether)… but let’s just say our public transit systems does some good in reducing traffic congestion, but since it is still a lingering (perhaps even worsening) problem, we obviously need to support and encourage the use of more public / alternative transport, as well as implement other means of reducing traffic congestion (like smarter traffic lights, elevated crosswalks and pedestrian bridges [so cars need not stop, and kill all their speed/ momentum/ ENERGY to stop for one or two people trying to cross the street])!!! I always say, “If you’ve got legs, use ’em!”