How much can I improve my health if I move away from smoggy LA?

As someone who just moved to LA, I too am interested in the health problems caused by the high levels of smog in big cities. One of the main problems with “the valley of smoke” is that Los Angeles sits in a valley so the smog just nestles on top and doesn’t move. Other big cities have rain to cleanse the air, but as you know, southern California doesn’t get much rain. Winter storms help to alleviate the level of smog, but in the hot and dry summers it is more of a worry. The Clean Air Act and low emissions vehicles are helping to reduce the amount of smog in LA’s air and hopefully in the coming years, the air quality will improve. At the moment though, smog is a legitimate concern to city dwellers. Seeing as smog causes health problems like asthma, coughing, lung sensitivity, and sometimes cancer, moving to a place with less smog will definitely improve your health, but I cannot give a quantitative amount as to how much your health will improve by moving as this is based on a number of factors. What I can say, though, is that while smog continues to be a problem, your health will undoubtedly improve by being in a place with better air quality. If moving isn’t an option, you can protect your lungs from smog by eating more raw food, cutting down on saturated fat, and adding more vitamin A, C, E, beta-carrotene, and selenium to your diet.

Los Angeles is one of the smoggiest cities in the United States. In LA about 90 days a year have ozone levels that reach unhealthy levels, ozone being a major component of smog. This means that for at least 90 days a year, or about 3 months out of the year people are breathing in air that can cause damage to the heart and lungs. This can result in irritation of the respiratory tract, wheezing, coughing, asthma attacks, chest pain, and premature death. By moving away from LA and to a cleaner area, you can reduce your exposure to smog, make sure to check the air quality of the area you may choose to move, including the number of days that have an unhealthy level of ozone.