How is mental health, like depression and anxiety, related to time spent in nature?

There is actually something called seasonal affective disorder that I think will help with this question.  While not necessarily an issue of one’s time spent in nature, the disorder is believed to be caused by one’s time spent in light.  Since you soak up light when you are outside in nature, I think this disorder is very applicable.  Symptoms of the disorder include depression during the winter, and even anxiety during the summer.  While the details of why exactly this disorder happens are not totally clear, and the treatments vary, one thing is certain: if you think you are suffering from the “winter blues,” as it is sometimes called, you are not alone, and the feeling won’t last forever.