How is memory stored on computers?

I’m not exactly sure. I have a few ideas: As a digital code of 1’s and 0’s — which translate to ons and offs depending on voltage in a semiconductor…. (or, uhh, on the hard drive— a spinning magnetic disc which can encode a sequence of digital writing)…. but nothing too solid for you to go one… I suggest you read up on basic digital systems and electronics, specifically semiconductors…. this is where they get Silicon Valley from….

but here’s an excellent description: “

Historically, early computers used delay linesWilliams tubes, or rotating magnetic drumsas primary storage. By 1954, those unreliable methods were mostly replaced by magnetic core memory, which was still rather cumbersome. Undoubtedly, a revolution was started with the invention of a transistor, that soon enabled then-unbelievable miniaturization of electronic memory via solid-state silicon chip technology.

This led to a modern random-access memory (RAM). It is small-sized, light, but quite expensive at the same time. (The particular types of RAM used for primary storage are also volatile, i.e. they lose the information when not powered).

From wikipedia