How many turkeys do we eat on thanksgiving?

[img_assist|nid=193161|title=Turkey|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=81]Interestingly, I looked almost everywhere for the answer to this question, including actually contacting Butterball, arguably the turkey authorities when it comes to eating them. They had no idea. However, their statistics people have promised to get back to me, and I will relay that information as soon as I get the answer.

In the meantime, I learned that in 2006, approximately 270 million turkeys were consumed, according to “Hearings of the Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry Committee,” July 17, 2006 ( However, this was for the entire calendar year, not just for Thanksgiving.

The folks at Butterball did know that approximately 90% of American homes eat turkey on Thanksgiving. I could extrapolate a number based on the population, but that would assume that each houehold ate only one turkey, and I don’t believe that would be an accurate answer.

By the way, Israel consumes more turkey per capita than any other country. Who would have thought?

In 2007, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, more than 45 million turkeys are cooked and eaten in the U.S. at Thanksgiving—that’s one sixth of all turkeys sold in the U.S. each year.  Now that’s a lot of turkeys!

270 million turkeys