How many trees did you personally plant in the ground last year, and if any, how many are still alive today, and how much have they grown?

We personally planted additional apple and lemons trees, as well as a couple of junipers for shade as well.  All have grown quite well and none died – we covered the fruit trees during this past winter when the temperatures were so low and we will again when we have freezing temps at night.  The junipers have grown a couple of feet.  The apple trees grew about a foot, then were dormant during winter.

We have several mature trees on our property but planted a Chinese pistachio tree and a Japanese maple last year. Both trees are very much alive. They have both grown about 3 inches in height.

I traveled to Ecuador last year and worked with a team of about ten people to reforest a hill that had been ravaged by invasive grasses. We worked to clear the grasses and their roots; dig holes; and plant aliso trees, plantains and wild sunflowers. We also threw seed bombs filled with I believe 12 different species of native cloud forest plants. Collectively, we must have planted about 500 trees. Unfortunately, since I havn’t been back to the country and since I don’t have contact with the reserve, I’m not sure how this reforestation effort has developed.