How many superfund sites are there in America?

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said on September 23, 2009 that it is adding 11 hazardous waste sites to the National Priorities List of Superfund sites.

The 11 new sites are:

— B.F. Goodrich, Rialto, Calif.

— Lane Street Ground Water Contamination, Elkhart, Ind.

— Southwest Jefferson County Mining, Jefferson County, Mo.

— Flat Creek IMM, Superior, Mont.

— Ore Knob Mine, Ashe County, N.C.

— GMH Electronics, Roxboro, N.C.

— Curtis Specialty Papers Inc., Milford, N.J.

— Little Scioto River, Marion County, Ohio

— Salford Quarry, Lower Salford Township, Pa.

— Papelera Puertorriquena Inc., Utuado, Puerto Rico.

— Amcast Industrial Corp., Cedarburg, Wis.

I think the EPA does some good things, but I don’t think they have always done their job right, or honestly for that matter.  I am not being cynical as much as I am realist.  I think the people who are affected by environmental hazards around the world, not just the U.S., need to come together to solve problems with the help of the judicial system, and scientisits.  The EPA has failed in some respects so a critical eye should be cast in any and every one of these situations – especially if it is on the Superfund level.  There was a lot of controversy surrounding the use of the dispersant Corexit to address the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico in the Spring of 2010, but despite the lack of knowledge we have about Corexit and its impact on the environment, the EPA still allowed 2 million gallons of the stuff to be released into the Gulf.  According to EPA whistleblower Hugh Kaufman, Corexit is more toxic to the environment than the oil itself – knowing this, the EPA allowed BP to use it in order to atomize the oil and force it down the water column.  The corporate manipulation of the EPA has been apparent in more than one case: the court case Mann v. Ford is particularly troubling.