How many people visit Walden Pond each year?

Walden Pond State Reservation gets about half a million visitors a year, mostly during the summer months. At most times only 300 vehicles and 1,000 people are allowed in the park at one once but because of recent flooding in the area, the number of vehicles has been temporarily lowered to 169.

The Reservation has a replica of Thoreau’s famous cabin, and a plaque with his quote, “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”

Concord, the town near the pond, is a popular tourist destination. Besides Walden, it is the site of the Battle of Concord, and the former home of famous figures such as Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Louisa May Alcott.