How many people in the United States live close enough to their work that they could walk?

This is a great question, and while I do not know an exact answer, I can tell you with confidence that it is: NOT ENOUGH! I have only held a few jobs in my lifetime where I can walk to work… we should make it an initiative to begin a program which finds people jobs closer to home! I tutor part-time in the afternoons — so I have to drive about 25 miles to Philadelphia to get to the classroom — there is a school about 3/4 of a mile from my home, and several more within a 5 mile radius — all of which I could get to without using fossil fuels (I’d use my leg-power — driven via the mighty-mitochondria — and my 10-speed road-bike to get there)… I wonder if there is someone who lives in Philadelphia who drives down here to Wilmington to tutor students after school…  the obvious Green Choice that we could make would be to trade jobs. We should better regulate and encourage eco-friendly habits in our workforce.

For an exact answer, although this is just an estimate, I’d say maybe 1 in 50 people live close enough that they could walk — but probably only half of those people actually do. 

Here is a website that provides the top-ranking cities for people who walk to work. Among the list are Boston, Washington, D.C., San Francisco and Seattle, just to name a few.