How many people eat fast food in a day in America?

I couldn’t find any statistics or data on that, but the US fast food industry is expected to grow past the $170 billion mark in 2010. Calculating with an average of $1 dollar / burger this would mean that around 4.65 million burgers are sold each day. I would also assume that most of the people eat one burger per day so around 4.65 million eat at fast foods.  

According to, the average American consumes about “three hamburgers and four orders of french fries every week.”  Roughly, that is 90g of fat and 2,520 calories, and this is only a portion of total fast food consumption.  The article did not site any sources though so its validity is slightly questionable.  I did find this same statement on a few other websites though so it much have some sort of legitimacy.  In addition to this, one in four Americans consumes a meal from a fast food restaurant each day, and about 40% of family meals are consumed outside of the home.