The number varies every year depending on how the fish is treated. It is sometimes sold in markets and if it is not properly filleted, it can be deadly. Between 2005 and 2007, 15 people were killed because the fish was labeled as salmon and sold in a market in Bangkok. The fish does not automatically kill the consumer based on the amount of the actual poison they ingest. While 15 people died in this instance, about 115 were hospitalized because of extreme vomiting and paralysis. The fish is edible, just make sure you know which part to eat!
Pufferfish, also called blowfish, contain a poison called tetrodotoxin, which is lethal to both fish and humans. The amount of toxin in one pufferfish can kill 30 adults. Adventurous people take a risk by eating this fish. It takes a very skilled chef to prepare pufferfish, which the Japanese call fugu. The Japanese Health Bureau reported that there were 0-6 deaths per year from pufferfish poisoning between 1996 and 2006. Additionally, 34-64 people were hospitalized.
Click here to cancel reply.
Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!
Don't have an account? Click Here to Signup
© Copyright GreenAnswers.com LLC